backslashes, string replacement, mysql_real_escape_strings and languages

Ok, let's get this straightened out, please.
I'm coming up with little annoyances like text with é & the like
being displayed and not displayed, having to enter it to get it
displayed, and sometimes seeing the code rather than the accented character.
And then there is preg_replace! When I have to use foreign characters
and I often do in several languages, preg removes the & and the spaces
that I don't want in a string but it also replaces the foreign language
accent formatting(e.g. î with icirc). Now that is annoying. I then
have to replace the space&space with space/space and omit the
preg_replace. That's a workaround... but that prevents filtering out
lost spaces. And how does all that relate to latin1 and utf8_general?
I'm setting up my databases with utf8_general... so, now what? Should I
be reverting to latin1(or is it 15) I don't recall... Is there a way to
fix this cross language problem?
Ooooooooh, boy. :'(

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."