Re: recipes anyone?

Bob McConnell wrote:
> From: PJ
>
>> I'd like to get some input on how to deal with recipes.
>> use html pages to store and display, XML or db or... ? And what about
>> clips, like flvs ? TIA.
>>

> There are as many ways to do cookbooks as there are cooks. I am familiar
> with half a dozen, without counting the professional packages put out by
> another department here where I work.
>
> RecipeML is one option, but it is seriously incomplete if you need to
> include nutritional information.
>
> Qookbooks, Gormet (Gnome), Krecipes (KDE) MealMaster, Master Cook,
> Recipants, etc. all have different storage formats and display formats.
> Some are well documented, some are buried in the code, and some are
> still kept secret. You can take your pick, or combine them and roll your
> own.
>
> A bigger issue is how to import existing recipe files. I have several
> years of messages collected from newsgroups like rec.food.recipes,
> r.f.cooking, r.f.baking, etc. that I would like to put into a usable,
> and searchable format. But there are too many variations in the formats
> and naming conventions used to be able to write a single routine to
> handle them all. It is much easier just to use those already published
> in MealMaster formats. At least that one is documented clearly now that
> they are out of business.
>
> Bob McConnell

Thank you gentlemen. Basically, that's what I figured. But this does
give me some more stuff to mull over. The only thing I'm really
wondering is if it's worth doing anything with XML.
I do have a number of recipes already in HTML; probably will try to
re-use them and modify/or adapt with CSS.
Thanks, again.

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."