Re: Confirmation email caught by spam filter

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 14:41 -0400, Tom Worster wrote:
> On 5/27/09 12:07 PM, "LAMP" <lamp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The problem is the confirmation emails and "reset password" emails are
> > very often caught  by email filter and finish in Spam/Junk folder, or
> > even stopped by ISP. What am I doing wrong, or what to do to improve the
> > code?
>
> i've run into this. among many factors that can be involved, the sending
> smtp server needs to be in address block that isn't black listed anywhere,
> e.g. don't try sending from a comcast address.
>
> also, you server needs to handle greylisting.
>
> it may help to set an spf record.
>
> in one instance i ended up using a well known mail hosting provider and
> sending the mail to their smtp server with authenticated smtp over ssl,
> which can be done quite easily with pear mail. i.e. pay the hosting company
> to worry about getting the emails through.

I've also seen this happen where the address that the mail was sent from
is different from the MX record for the domain the email says it is sent
from. The only way round this is to have the MX and A records point to
the same server.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk