Re: templating engine options

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Tom Worster <fsb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> thanks for taking the trouble to write your requirements. it made
> interesting reading.
>
> i've questions on three points below...
>

> On 5/25/09 6:44 PM, "Nathan Rixham" <nrixham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> XSL Templates are near perfect, built for the job, and very powerful -
>> but time hasn't favoured them well; and until (if ever) a wide spread
>> adoption happens something else needs to fill the gap.
>
> i don't know xsl well, but from what i read it seems to be about taking data
> from one xml document and putting it into another.

Not really. The most common use may be that, but xsl can convert an
XML document to pretty much any format you want and can even convert
between compatible encodings. (You would lose something to try to
convert from Chinese to Latin1, obviously, but you should be able to
convert from Latin1 to UTF-8 or from UTF-8 to UTF-16 if desired.) It
is even possible to go from XML to PDF. (I haven't tried it, so I
don't know how well it works.)

[snip]
> one thing i wasn't clear about with xsl is whether or not there's any output
> language dependence? could i write a template to produce an sql file, or an
> email in russian?

Exactly. The input XML document and the XSL stylesheet must both be
valid XML, but the output can be just about anything you want.  You
could have an XML table definition and use XSL to translate that
structure into a valid SQL statements using that table in a specific
SQL vendor dialect. Those could be anything as simple as generating
CREATE TABLE statements to build a script to create a database or as
complex as building stored procedures against those tables.

Andrew