Re: Re: <table>-less layouts; Ideas welcome

Paul M Foster wrote:
[snip]
> I wish someone had thought of a similar thing for databases. From the
> beginning, there should have been a spreadsheet-like interface for
> databases. This could have saved endless trouble, since for lack of
> this, people store database information in spreadsheets. And then wonder
> why they can't do this or that with it. Argh.
>
> Paul

Build one... replicate google docs features using AJAX,PHP (or any server-side language) and CSS etc.. then share the source with us. ;-)

Seriously,
Regarding spreadsheet or table data, (and fileMaker)... I just
have to chime in here...

There are many reasons, especially in the web world, where
a more simple table-like database, with excellent access features
are perfectly appropriate, as well as a breathe of fresh air to
the developer. Imagine being able to copy/paste an excel file
(lets say a list of test scores) into
a text editor, save it to the server, and then being able
to access that text file via a web page with the following
(simple) code in the body:

[search db=exceldata.db&geTESTSCOREdatarq=90&TESTSCOREtype=num]

  These students had scores greater than 90%<br>

  [founditems]
    [name]<br>
  [/founditems]
[/search]

The output looks like this(when visiting that web page):

These students had scores greater than 90%
Paul M Foster
Michael A. Peters
Ashley Sheridan
Robert Cummings

When I hear knocks regarding people making fun of table data,
I just laugh to myself and know that I'm getting about 20 times
the work done that these folks are. ;-) Nothing against
MySQL, but my point is: use the right tool for the right job.

FileMaker was/is slow, but there are other tools out there that
work great and are fast. ;-)

Donovan

--
  =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
  D. BROOKE                       EUCA Design Center