Re: templating engine options

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 21:26 +0100, Stuart wrote:
> 2009/5/24 Nathan Rixham <nrixham@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > LinuxManMikeC wrote:

> >> You're missing the point just because he threw in some old HTML
> >> styling attributes.  The main issue is the overhead of added parsing
> >> layers to find where content goes in the HTML.  Aren't we already
> >> using a language (PHP) that parses for place holders for dynamic
> >> content within HTML tags?  Write the template in XHTML, style it with
> >> CSS, and insert content place marks with PHP short tags.  Do the
> >> programming work of calculations, validation, and DB access in another
> >> script which will include the template at the appropriate time.  Even
> >> create classes to hold various data sets (think JavaBeans) if you
> >> want.  Adding a layer of abstraction just so your designers don't have
> >> to write <?=$var?> is silly at best.  At lest that's my opinion.  Do
> >> whatever works for you.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > which is lovely, but then you realise you have business logic tied up in the
> > presentation layer, and the client suddenly wants 3 different web based
> > interfaces and a roaming flash version which calls the system via an api;
> > and then you have the joy of telling the client its 6 months work and huge
> > figure to rewrite the application layer to included an abstracted
> > presentation layer, but it could have been avoided months ago with a days
> > worth of work (or even an hours worth) and a different decision.
>
> Using PHP for templates has absolutely no bearing on whether your
> presentation is tied up with your logic or they are completely
> separate. Almost every project I work on day-to-day has at least 2
> front ends, XHTML and an API. In addition several have mobile versions
> of the presentation layer. All of them use pure PHP to render output.
>
> > all in though, hardly matters on a personal site, or a quick client job
> > where, or a.. I guess there's a place for each technology and method; and we
> > could throw scenarios around all night getting no where.
>
> IMHO there is only one scenario where using a template engine is
> justified and that's when you're working with people who insist on
> using it and you can't talk them round.

The inverse can just as easily be argued. I've given good points before
as to why a template engine can be useful, good points with no rebuff.
Good points where PHP includes cannot compete. I'm not going to bother
re-hashing them, since you only remember what you want to remember,
similarly you only use what you want to use (and this applies to the PHP
IS-A templating language dogma).

I use both system where the case presents itself. In fact, I even have
templates that create PHP files that use require().

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com