Re: <table>-less layouts; Ideas welcome

Hello,

Jim Lucas wrote:
> Since this has been a topic of dicussion, I figured I would add my
> thoughts.
>
> I have been toying with the idea of doing a <table>-less layouts
> involving tabular data, calendars, etc...
>
> Recent threads have finally made me do it.  Let me know what you think.
>
> http://www.cmsws.com/examples/templates/div_tables.php
> http://www.cmsws.com/examples/templates/div_tables.phps (source for above)
> http://www.cmsws.com/examples/templates/div_cal.php
>
> When you turn off the styles, the calendar becomes pretty rough on the
> eyes, but still "accessible".
>
> Same thing with the tabular data structure.
>
> But, not knowing how the various types of accessibility applications
> work, I am guessing that the layout to an application trying to read it
> should work fairly well.  Let me know if I am way off the mark with my
> thoughts.

Excuse me for maybe not so nice opinion, but honestely I find it silly
to use not use plain HTML tables precisely for the purpose that they
should be used for: displaying data that should be aligned both
vertically and horizontally.

Using HTML tables is not a sin. You will not go to hell if you use HTML
tables.

Avoiding using HTML tables has nothing to do with accessibility.   You
non-HTML table based tables are not more accessible to blind people than
using real HTML tables.

HTML tables are part of the Web standards. Who told you otherwise lied
to you. Look W3C that define the Web standards documented it here.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html

Your hack to avoid using HTML tables is not the same as using tables
because you need to define styles that fix the width of the columns to
make sure all cells in a column have the same width. You loose the
functionality of HTML table to auto-adjust the width according to their
content.

In the end you will have much more HTML tags and attributes than if you
used simple HTML tables.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos