Re: PHP5 based Web-Chat?

Hello Nathan,

Am 2009-05-21 13:44:38, schrieb Nathan Rixham:
> Nothing :D

<grmpf>

> - anything php based would involve polling which will kill
> any server when trying to create a realtime chat environment
> (1 request per second per chatter + 1 for each message send + normal
> hits) - so say 30 chatters and you have at a minimum 30 requests per
> second with all the weight and db hits they involve.

if you check <http://chat.tchatche.com/> then you will see, they  refesh
only all 5-8 seconds.  Currently I have encountered a maximum  of  ~4800
users connected at once. I am already trying a small thing with 5 frames
imitating the above website and already used it with 10 clients at  once
which work on a Quad-Xeon (P3/550MHz/768MByte) on  a  2.5 MBit  Internet
connection.

> in all honesty I'd recommend using openfire together with sparkweb or a
> custom client - that combo is premade, feature packed, opensource and
> can easily handle circa 50k users in realtime per server (connections
> and things aside). Additionally its a proper jabber server so you can
> have desktop clients, mods and of course full featured IM with custom
> addresses, openid and integrated in with yahoo, gtalk, msn, aol,
> *whatever* accounts as well.

I have a Jabber Server (Package "jabber"; Debian Distribution) installed
but no one want to use it...  Pidgin is working perfectly with it and is
available on ALL Operating Systems.

However, I need a Webinterface where People can connect to others een if
they have NO Laptop/Smartphone  with them.

Is there a USER Web-Interface to Jabber?

> going down the php route is a complete waste of time imho (unless you
> are creating a custom php socket server which bypasses apache,
> implementing XMPP and connecting in the users client via flash, flex or
> a java client)

I was thinking on a Flash/Java solution too, but I do  not  know  HOW TO
create this Flash-Stuff and do not even code Java.

> yours, not of a very strong opinion, nathan

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           67100 Strasbourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)                     Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886                                Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193