Re: product listing columns

Stephen wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>> I am about to bust my donkey again trying to set up a dynamic product
>> listing for a web page using mysql, php & CSS (the donkey ride).
>> What better place to ask than here in guru heaven:
>> 1. What's a good list/forum to ask for help on CSS - it just is too
>> illogical.
>>
> I suggest you take a look at sitepoint.com, for all aspects of web
> building and design.
Oh, I stumble across it from time to time... but I've got a rather large
collection of bookmarks to looks for help. Thanks for that.
>> 2. With mysql, is the best way to populate list columns with ul and li
>> or would just a simple column work fine? I have done this with a left
>> navigation column and could repeat such columns next to each other with
>> the final column with input fields for quantities ordered. Background
>> could just be an image to fill the container div.
>> Does that sound about right?
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
> It seems to me that you are actually building a table and should use
> html tables. With css for the
> layout and formatting, of course. :)
Well, I just read most of the debate on css & tables... and I think it
can be done.  I am already stumbling on some design issues which are
absolutely ridiculous in css... for example, I haven't understood or
figured out why a <div id="whatever"> refuses to shrink the bottom
boundary no matter what directions it is given without any apparent
reason.  I have checkd inheritance, !important, nesting, clear, inline,
etc. and nothing does it. But I have already filled columns from mysql
wich css and it looks and works just fine.
Besides, it's a challenge. ;-)

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."