Re: CSS & tables

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 16:13 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 8:15 PM +0100 5/18/09, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 14:48 -0400, tedd wrote:
> >
> >  > I think the next big thing will be an argument over meaning.  :-)
> >>
> >I don't mean using id attributes that appear to have meaning, but using
> >the proper tags to mark up content. That's things like <abbr> and
> ><acronym> tags for abbreviations and acronyms respectively, tables for
> >tabular data and lists for list data, quote tags for quotations, etc.
>
> Yes, I agree -- one of my pet peeves is people using alt tags for
> tool-tips when that's best served by the title tag.
>
> >What you mention does have some merit to it though, as microformats are
> >an idea to use the class attribute to classify data in certain ways,
> >like <span class="date"> or <span class="author"> etc, although I'm not
> >sure how well these work!
>
> That's kind of what I was talking about -- but I'm much more simple.
>
> It seems to me that things like header, navigation, content, and
> footer would be pretty standardized. However, in some sites the
> header called the banner, footer is called copyright, navigation is
> called side-bar, and content is called wrapper or something even less
> semantic.
>
> When the simpletons can't agree, then there's not much hope for the
> complexetons.  :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Well, headers are pretty much dealt with by the <hx> tags. I'd like to
think that as long as a div had a class or id containing the word foot
or nav (even as part of a larger word) then it might be interpreted a
bit more intelligently by the UA, but I think it may just be a silent
dream of mine for now!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk