Re: CSS & tables

Nathan Rixham wrote:
tedd wrote:
At 7:48 PM -0400 5/16/09, Stephen wrote:
PJ wrote:
I know of no better place to ask. This may not be strictly a PHP issue,
but...
I am busting my hump trying to format rather large input pages with CSS and trying to avoid tables; but it looks to me like I am wasting my time
as positioning with CSS seems an impossibly tortuous exercise.
CSS 2.1 makes layout easy ans IE8 passes ACID2.

I have some javascript that detects the browser and warns users of IE <8 that they need to upgrade.

Maybe bleeding edge for commercial sites, but helping the user upgrade is going them a favour.

Stephen

Stephen:

Browser sniffing is a losing battle.

Cheers,

tedd

agreed - complete and utter waste of time

If someone wants to mask their browser, so be it.

They will see a false warning, or miss a useful one.

Standards exist for a reason. Web designers have wasted eons of man years accommodating Microsoft's incompetence. Finally getting things right takes some people to start, and it is those of us without a commercial need to be friendly to IE <8.

Stephen