Re: CSS & tables

tedd wrote:
At 10:48 AM +0100 5/16/09, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
Trust me, semantics are gonna be the next big thing,

Semantics?

What do you mean by that?

And therein lies the problem -- what means something to me, may not to you.

For example, if I make my header <div id="header"> (or whatever) what makes it the same as yours?

I think the next big thing will be an argument over meaning.  :-)

Cheers,

tedd

semantics already are the next big thing and have been for a year or three. google aquired the leading semantic analysis software many years ago and have been using it ever since, likewise with yahoo and all the majors. further we've all had open access to basic scripts like the yahoo term extraction service for years, and more recently (well maybe 2+ years) we've had access to open calais from reuters which will extract some great semantics from any content.

if you've never seen then the best starting point is probably http://viewer.opencalais.com/

pretty sure yahoo (and maybe google) have been parsing rdf semantic data embedded inside comments in xhtml documents for a couple of years now, even the adding of "tags" generated by semantic extraction are common place now and make a big difference to seo.

If however you mean document structure semantics such as using h* tags throughout the document in the correct places, then this is even older and everybody should be doing it - hell that's what an html document is!

:p