Re: CSS & tables

PJ wrote:
I know of no better place to ask. This may not be strictly a PHP issue,
but...
I am busting my hump trying to format rather large input pages with CSS
and trying to avoid tables; but it looks to me like I am wasting my time
as positioning with CSS seems an impossibly tortuous exercise. I've
managed to do some pages with CSS, but I feel like I am shooting myself
in the foot or somewhere...
Perhaps I am too demanding. I know that with tables, the formatting is
ridiculously fast.
Any thoughts, observations or recommendations?

Generally, if your content can vary somewhat, tables are easier. Browsers are very good at handling flow with tables.

If the content is relatively constant, <div> are best.

Unfortunately DIVs behave differently if they are assigned a "position" element. Learn to use the various values. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/position

Then learn to use Floats https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/float Google, there are many good tutorials for floating divs.