Re: Software to read/write Excel to CD?

Paul M Foster wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:21:22AM +0100, Peter Ford wrote:

Matt Graham wrote:

But why write an Excel spreadsheet - why not save the data in something more
portable like CSV that ExCel and read and write to once you are back at base?

CSV doesn't export *formulas*, just the visible numbers.

gnumeric handles everything excel that I have ever needed, and is FOSS.
I believe OpenOffice also does very well.

That being said, you are more likely to find excel installed than either of those, excel is the spreadsheet standard at this point, and both those products mentioned handle most excel files, so saving as excel should (in most cases) be plenty portable.