Re: Cannot output the same data from text file in PHP

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 4:45 PM -0400 5/14/09, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>  > My stance is, if you're going to subscribe to an email list, learn how
>>>
>>>  to unsubscribe, how to see if you've been inadvertantly unsubscribed,
>>
>>  > learn email netiquette on lists, etc.
>>
>> I agree with you for the most part. I'm just saying that the presence
>> of unsubscribe information in the message headers themselves is of
>> very little value to most people.
>

> Andrew:
>
> I'm sure you don't disagrees, but I side with Paul with this clarification:
> People who subscribe to this list do not fall in to the "most" people
> category. (proof -- think of Rob) :-)

I agree, but I've subscribed and unsubscribed to a number of lists
over the years, and I never knew anything about the unsubscribe
headers for mailing list messages until someone mentioned them on this
list. As such, I would never have looked there for information on how
to unsubscribe.

> One must have some idea of what this list is about before subscribing to it.
> It's a deliberate act wherein the person has to travel from nonsubscriber to
> subscriber where along the way they are presented with information for them
> to read and agree as to what you are doing AND how to undo it.

One would think. ;-)

I know that at least part of the problem is that mailing lists vary so
much depending on the software they use and the options specified by
the list owners/managers.

Andrew