Re: Cannot output the same data from text file in PHP

Moses wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a written a script in PHP which outputs the result from a text file.
> The PHP script is as follows:
>
> <?php
> $alldata = file("result.txt");
> foreach($alldata as $line_num => $line) {
> echo $line."<br>";
> }
> ?>
>
> I have attached the result.txt file. However the output of the script is as
> follows:
>

> Query: 1 atggcaatcgtttcagcagaaaaattcgtaattcgagctcgcccggggatcgatcctcta 60
> Sbjct: 1 atggcaatcgtttcagcagaaaaattcgtaattcgagctcgcccggggatcgatcctcta 60
>
> which is not exactly  as in the result.txt file in that the pipelines
> are displaced.
>
> Any pointer to this problem shall be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>
> Moses

Not a PHP problem, but a HTML problem:
First, HTML compresses white space into just one space, so all of those leading
spaces on line 2 are lost.
Second, you are (probably) displaying using a proportionally-spaced font, so the
narrow pipeline characters take up less width than the letters.

So you need something like:
<?php
$alldata = file("result.txt");
foreach($alldata as $line_num => $line)
{
    echo $line."\n";
}
?>

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399