database session management with mdb2

The database session management class I'm using is something I downloaded off the web several years ago.

I ported it to use mdb2 but it sometimes fails in a strange way if the session is expired or if the browser sends a session cookie that does not exist.

With error reporting turned off this isn't a problem. But with error reporting turned on, it breaks the xml. Since error reporting is turned on on my devel machine, this is an issue. The functions are hard coded to return true and it seems that when the write or gc function fails, the function of the site is not affected, but the error message that results at the end of the page causes an xml failure.

Where it fails is in the write class and the garbage collection.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the internals of sessions to try to fix it, so I'm hoping someone can point me to a well tested database session management class written for pear mdb2.

All my googling thus far has turned up classes that use a specific database and I really want to avoid that, I'd rather use flat file than go that direction.