Re: irrational behavior SOLVED

Jan G.B. wrote:
> 2009/5/12 PJ <af.gourmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Could somebody please explain this?
>> When the line - sort($category) is commented out, the output returns
>> Notice: Undefined offset: in the line "36" for all the repeats (29 in
>> this case)
>>

> Sure thing if you consider this:
>

>> The code below:
>> <?
>> $SQL = "SELECT name
>>        FROM categories ORDER BY category_id
>>        ";
>> $category = array();
>> //[...]
>>        $category[$row['name']] = $row;
>> //[...] while
>>    $cat = $category[$ii]['name']; //=======this is line 36==========
>>

> After setting only $arr[NAMEfromDB], why should be a numeric index $arr[INT] ?
>

> Now just do var_dump($category) before and after your sort() - But I
> don't see why you still have it, when the query itself does the
> sorting.
>
> Regards

Kind of a nice solution for the problem I originally had  which was to
use a list of categories in the db which had to be used in href for
pages with the same names. I had to sort the list as, at the time, I did
not know how otherwise to sort the list - the id field was not
sequential and I don't remember what other problem may have been
involved. I had forgotten that the sort changed the keys.
Actually, in the present case I did not want to sort by id since it was
already sorted the way I wanted.
Thanks to all for the input. The haze slowly clears... :-)

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."