Re: speaking of control structures...

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 09:33 -0400, Tom Worster wrote:
On 5/6/09 9:31 PM, "Clancy" <clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can understand your reluctance to disregard your mother's advice, but
unfortunately she
had been brainwashed to accept the dogma of the day.
actually, i don't believe so. she did numerical work so she continued using
fortran and therefore gotos for the rest of her life. i think she just
didn't like goto. moreover, she was never dogmatic on any topic, it wasn't
in her nature.

anyway, how do you know how she came by her opinions?

Because that's how most people came by their opinion of goto? How did
you come by your opinion of goto? Oh yeah, your momma! Here let me open
your eyes a bit... I've done a grep on the PHP 5.2.9 source code, Apache
2.2.11 source code, and MySQL 5.1.33 source code for use of goto:

    PHP 5.2.9:     http://pastebin.com/f6b88957

   Apache 2.2.11: http://pastebin.com/f2c7f5d93

   MySQL 5.1.33:  http://pastebin.com/f4441a891

It would seem that goto has a lot of use in modern code. Just because
someone tells you something, doesn't mean you should believe it at face
value. Goto has many important uses in programming. The goto that was
spurned is not really the goto in use today. The goto in use today
generally has scope within a well defined context such as a function.

Cheers,
Rob.

further a switch statement pretty much is a goto (well a multiway goto), and as I mentioned couple of days ago continue is pretty much a goto as well - think its technical term is a "continuation" which is v similar to a computed go to.