Re: speaking of control structures...

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 08:41 -0400, Tom Worster wrote:
On 5/6/09 7:05 AM, "Robert Cummings" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That seems like an abuse of exceptions. But then we're already abusing
loops. I just don't think one could say it's the proper way to do it :)
i don't have a lot of interest in "the proper way" to do things. i'm
interested in how other programmers actually do things.

I highly doubt they use exceptions.

lol hello - I always seem to want to reply to your posts Rob!

with exceptions.. if you're using an n-tier architecture then exceptions are the best thing to use here, you've got an exceptional state where criteria isn't met and this exception should be caught by the display layer and handled.

But this isn't a discussion with an OOP variant it's more procedural, so def out of place imho.

at the same time.. the functionality required and what is essentially a want for advanced separation of concerns is very oop so..

really.. this could easily be solved with OOP and it'd be an elegant reusable solution

regards!