Re: elseif statements

At 11:29 AM -0400 5/5/09, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 11:21 -0400, tedd wrote:
 > At 10:13 AM -0400 5/5/09, Robert Cummings wrote:

 > >Just so we all know why...

 Yep -- just so we know why:

 <http://php1.net/a/if-v-switch/>

 It all depends upon how you use the tools at your command.

 My preference is still valid and I think the code is more readable. YMMV.

Extra level of indentation, needing to add a break statement for every
case. Yours is more verbose and less clear. Forgetting a break statement
would lead to a silent bug. Abuse of the switch statement... switching
on a constant is not a switch at all. I consider it obfuscated. The
techniques you've used are also non-portable to most other languages
with a switch construct. Sorry, your attempt to call this good advice
fails.

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob:

I agree that the way I use the switch in my example does not port to other languages, but I'm not working in other languages and it's the way I solve my elseif problem in this language. If I was working in a different language, then I would solve it differently. But I have never used an elseif statement, nor do I intend.

If you will read my original post, I preference each statement with "In my opinion". I can certainly have an opinion about the way I choose to program, can't I? And, what's wrong with voicing that opinion providing that you are stating it as your opinion?

While I see what you are doing and agree that your solution is probably better for the majority than mine, your solution still doesn't work for me. I find it confusing and I find my solution much more readable and understandable. Others may find it so as well. As the say in Perl, there is always more than one way to do anything.

I admit that you are a better php programmer than I, and I usually learn from you, but on this point I can't follow.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------