Re: Avoid to open mysql querries then times in the page

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 23:09 +0030, Bastien Koert wrote:
> Yep, though I would still query 2x. Once for the login data, no sense
> retrieving more if the log on fails. Then the second query is to get
> all the user data into a session object. There are two schools of
> thought about this, pull all the required data into the session, which
> doesn't scale well but if your site is not that busy, it won't matter
> all that much. The other option is to query each time the user needs
> some data and just keep the user_id in the session and run small quick
> queried to get the data you need.
>
> This is where you need to understand architectural trends. The REST
> architecture is all about true stateless application design where the
> app does not use sessions which allows for massive horizontal scaling.
> The app could connect to any server in the environment for access to
> the data and any server could deliver any data.  Many large scale
> applications use this design to scale out. Facebook is one.
>
> Be honest about how busy the site will be and use that as a guiding
> principle, but build it in layers to make swapping out bits easier.
>
> Hth
>

> On 5/4/09, Matthieu <spamamis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a totally newbie to php/Mysql but I'd like to know if it is normal that
> > I have to connect 3 times to the db in one page.
> >
> > For example, I have
> >
> > 1. A connection for the login / pass a $_SESSION['login'] before the HTML
> > tags
> >
> > 2. I need to say hello to the user so I reconnect, run a query to select the
> > user having the login and echo 'Hello '.$user['login'].'!''
> >
> > 3. I need to show him his friends a bit later, so I have to connect a last
> > time and re-run a querry because I can't use the data $user that I used in
> > my upper php code...
> >

> > Is there a walkthroug to have only one connection for the page?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Matthieu
> >

> > --
> >

> --
>
> Bastien
>
> Cat, the other other white meat

I'd do it with 2 queries too, but I'd pull the name from the DB as
you're checking their credentials. Basically, just query the database
for their username and password, but alter the SELECT statement to pull
their name along with any other details you need. Later, pull the list
of friends as you need them. I just think this is a bit neater, as you
only need their name once, in one row of data, but I'm guessing the
friends list would pull more than one row, and it wouldn't make sense to
have the name of the person who just logged in in each row, repeated.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk