Re: $_session/$_cookie trouble

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 16:38 -0400, Gary wrote:
> Thanks again, dont see any DOM....
>
> As I mentioned I am no longer getting error message, but not sure it is
> working.
>
> I have this at the begining of the first file.
>
> <?php
> session_start();
> setcookie('sale_cookie','$sale_value', time()-3600);
> setcookie('assess_cookie','$assess_value', time()-3600);
>
>     if (isset($_COOKIE['sale_cookie']) && isset($_COOKIE['assess_cookie']))
> {
>       $_SESSION['sale_value'] = $_COOKIE['sale_cookie'];
>       $_SESSION['assess_value'] = $_COOKIE['assess_cookie'];
>     }
>
> ?>
>

> I have tried this
>
> echo $sale_value;
> echo $_SESSION['assess_value'];
> echo $_COOKIE['sale_cookie'];
>
> I have also removed all of the if() and still not had success
>
> None of which are producing results...
>
> Anyone see where I am going wrong... I have spent all day online, in the
> books, in the manual...
>
> Thanks again
>
> gary
>

> "Igor Escobar" <titiolinkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Make sure your file isn't a UTF-8 with DOM.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Igor Escobar
> > Systems Analyst & Interface Designer
> >
> > --
> >
> > Personal Blog
> > ~ blog.igorescobar.com
> > Online Portifolio
> > ~ www.igorescobar.com
> > Twitter
> > ~ @igorescobar
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> > <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> >> messages.

> >> code

> >> into

> >> session

> >> session

> >> session

> >> session

> >> sent"... I

> >> is
> >> before

> >> There it is then. The HTML file causes the headers to be sent. Any
> >> output to the browser at all causes the headers to be sent, so any HTML
> >> or even spaces and newlines will trigger this error.
> >>

> >> Ash
> >> www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >>

> >> --

Please don't top-post.

As far as I know, the cookies are not actually set until the headers get
sent to the browser, and then you can read them again as cookie values
when the browser sends the cookie along with the page request. What
might be better is to use sessions only, which will save the session id
as part of the cookie/header. it's preferred unless you need to share
the cookie values with javascript that cannot interact with the php in
any way.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk