Re: utf-8 ?

Tom Worster wrote:
> On 4/27/09 9:55 AM, "PJ" <af.gourmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Since I have to use a number of Western languages that have those
>> annoying accents on many characters, I am already finding some
>> annoyances in my code results; like having to enter the &aacute; type of
>> stuff in inputs for searches & queries.
>
> the sooner you quit this bad habit the better. utf-8 is the solution.
>

>> MySql db is set up for InnoDB with latin1_swedish_ci for Collation; I
>> believe this is default.
>> Utf-8 seems to be one way to overcome the problems, but is it the only
>> way - seems a little cumbersome as I have no need for oriental & other
>> extra-terrestrial cyphers. (I'm incorrigibly lazy.)
>
> i know no reasonable alternative.
>
> in mysql, converting your tables is easy.
>

>> If it is the only way, what difficulties could I expect from an ISP
>> hosting a virtual site?
>
> the difficulties are most likely to arise with non-mbstring-safe functions
> your php code may be using.
>
> when i converted my site to utf-8 after 5 years of running latin-1, i
> spent
> a few days combing through each string function to determine if it was
> mbsafe or not (many are not) and if not, what to use instead. if the host
> has the mbstring extension then you're job may be a lot easier (assuming
> you're willing to recode your app to depend on an extension that isn't
> present in all runtime environments). if not, then you'll work harder to
> find work-arounds.
>
> i made a list of notes as i was working on the conversion, including a
> list
> of my notes on about 90 string functions. i could post them here if that
> would be of interest.
>
> here, at least, are the web pages i referred to:
>
> http://www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/utf-8
> http://www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/charsets
> http://www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/utf-8/mysql
> http://devlog.info/2008/08/24/php-and-unicode-utf-8/
> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/08/09/scripters-utf-8-survival-guide-sli
> des/
> http://www.nicknettleton.com/zine/php/php-utf-8-cheatsheet
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html
Exactly what are the advantages of using utf-8? How will it solve my
problem?

Right now I'm going nuts trying to set up FreeBSD and xorg to be able to
switch between en_US and fr_CA keyboards but it sure is frustrating if
nothing else. This is a most elegant way of using the french and english
keyboards siinc the fr_CA keyboard is bilingual - almost all the
characters are the same except for a few that have been relocated; and
it is easy to adapt to. I would settle for just 1 keyboard - the fr_CA,
but I can't find any intelligible or functional ways to set it up. I got
one version set up with keyboard mapping but that was a complete
disaster as I had to find a an ASCII code to enter for my password since
that particular key was not available on the keyboard. Sometimes I
wonder about the guys who set this stuff up. >:o
--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."