Re: Re: utf-8 ?

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 20:56 +0600, 9el wrote:
I looked at http://developer.loftdigital.com/blog/php-utf-8-cheatsheet
which suggests this:
ALTER DATABASE db_name
CHARACTER SET utf8
DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8
COLLATE utf8_general_ci
DEFAULT COLLATE utf8_general_ci
;

ALTER TABLE tbl_name
DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8
COLLATE utf8_general_ci
;

or I could do it with phpMyAdmin, right?

 and the only difficulties would appear to be fixing any accent stuff
(don't know yet just what) and that would only be time consuming.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I don't muck up anything
and then have to do tortured acrobatics to redress things again. :-)

Changing to UTF8 is time consuming but if programming can be used it would
ease the effort. I have seen a WP plugin for that as well. And in phpmyAdmin
you'll have to set the collation for all fields and tables one by one. :)

I think some time ago I used  combination of mysqldump and iconv, some
minor editing, and then pumped it back into the database.

Cheers,
Rob.

snap;
also utf8_decode and utf8_encode

I'm also sure there's a way to do it using by setting the client connection char set and server char set to do an auto conversion..