Re: bug or expected, mbstring.func_overload not changeable by .htaccess 5.2.8/5.2.9

Hello,

Besides the .htaccess which might be an apache configuration problem if
you use ini_set("mbstring.func_overload",2) in a script of this
directory does it work?
no, also the ini_set does not work for this Directive.

Sorry for the late reply.

The ini_set is meant to be used inside a php script not in an .htaccess file.
So perhaps you could test this in a script specific manner.

In addition to this heck your apache configuration to see if you allow
.htaccess to be parsed.

apache and .htaccess are ok
i added a scond line which changes mbstring.encoding_translation from off to on without problems:

Directive Local Value Master Value
mbstring.encoding_translation On Off
mbstring.func_overload 0 0

.htaccess:

php_value mbstring.func_overload 2
php_flag mbstring.encoding_translation On

IMHO this is not a good practice using .htaccess to alter php's behavior.
Perhaps you should consider ini_set after all.

Can you confirm or rebut this behavior?
Should we go to internals list?
Thanks,
Andre

Unfortunately I can confirm that.

This is a list with all the initial values you are allowed to change:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.list.php

This is a script that shows all the mbstring extension values in an array:

<?php
print "<pre>";
print_r(ini_get_all('mbstring'));
?>

This array contains the default,local values and access level for each one.

Note that according to the manual:

http://www.php.net/ini_get_all

The access levels for every value are:|

Constant           Value      Meaning
PHP_INI_USER      1          Entry can be set in user scripts
PHP_INI_PERDIR 2 Entry can be set in php.ini, .htaccess or httpd.conf PHP_INI_SYSTEM 4 Entry can be set in php.ini or httpd.conf PHP_INI_ALL 7 Entry can be set anywhere

|Although in the ini list the mbstring is supposed to have access level 2 I've noticed that I have access level 4 for mbstring.func_overload. Perhaps *this is the problem*. You have access level 4 so that is why you can't change the value using .htaccess.

I don't know if this is an expected behavior though. Can anyone else confirm this??

--
Thodoris