Re: Creating A Chat?

Hi Stuart,

Indeed, in order to create a chat, you need to be able to push messages
from the server to the browser.
There are several techniques in order to do that.
One is the long polling technique (or Reverse Ajax). It requires a lot of
Javascript.
The other is going through a Flash server.

In both cases, it is quite time consuming to implement correctly those,
especially for all browsers.
I would advice you to use existing libraries or services in order to
implement your chat.

Here are 2 solutions:

You can try Xaja (http://www.thecodingmachine.com/ext/xaja). This is an
open-source Reverse Ajax framework.

Or you can use Apideo (http://www.apideo.com). This is service including a
Javascript library that can be used to send events across browsers. The
service is free for non commercial use.

Disclaimer: I've been involved in both project, so this is not a definitive
list. There might be other projects allowing you to do so.

Regards,
David.