RE: 800 pound gorilla

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob McConnell [mailto:rvm@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:59 AM
To: Marc Christopher Hall; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  800 pound gorilla

From: Marc Christopher Hall

> Sun buys MySQL and now Oracle buys Sun (not final, yet). What will
happen
> with the main db we PHP'ers have come to know and love especially
since v 5

Speak for yourself, I prefer PostgreSQL. But there are already two
announced forks of MySQL, created by developers that left after Sun
bought the company. So I don't think you'll be in any trouble. I did a
Google search last week on "executives departing MySQL" and found them.

Bob McConnell

This being a PHP forum I will stand down on a performance/stability debate
over PostgreSQL and MySQL. These responses are what I was fishing for. My
gut reaction was "Not again!" and this time I initially feared a future axe
to MySQL. Upon further thought (and a few deep breaths) I agree that for the
near future, an immediate canning of MySQL would not be in Oracle's best
interest. However, since Oracle has been the competition and (I had no idea
other developers had already begun a fork of MySQL) I believe that Oracle
will close the door on MySQL eventually.

Time will tell. Meanwhile, back to work for me.

-Marc Hall