Re: convert video files to FLV

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 09:01 -0700, Michael Shadle wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I know of no way you can do this. Not only would any potential solution
> > be too slow, but it would affect other users of the server, and more
> > than likely result in an email from you hosting provider!
> >
> > Have you considered using YouTube for videos? Just upload them there,
> > and you can embed their player in your pages.
>
> Some people have private videos, and that would require Youtube to
> have an API, otherwise he would have to say "hey, go here and upload
> your videos and then paste your link!"
>
> What do you mean "I know of no way you can do this" ?
>
> I've got two different styles of installation doing video conversions
> on two platforms with cronjobs controlling them using system() calls
> through PHP to ffmpeg.
>
> One of them uses ffmpeg-php to identify the source file ahead of time
> to try to get basic info like the dimensions and aspect ratio and such
> so when it does it's long ffmpeg command line it puts in some extra
> parameters to make the conversion work well...
>
> I have a 3 webserver cluster that does nginx+php-fpm+up to one convert
> job at a time and there is no noticable impact to my end users. In
> fact, I'm looking to replace them with slightly beefier machines so
> the convert jobs can move faster and I have more resources available
> in general...
>
> What I had meant is I am not sure ffmpeg-php has enough of the API and
> functions available to do a proper conversion, which is why I
> recommended using system() for now.
>
> It would be major brownie points for someone to beef up ffmpeg-php and
> add in things like mp4box, neroAacEnc and other conversion tools all
> into PHP API calls with appropriate return values, I try to stay away
> from system() calls if I can; also, the imagick PECL extension dumps
> core files too often (on an unrelated note) and that could use some
> additional help too.
>
> I would love to pool some money together to sponsor some stuff like
> that. I dislike having to use system() for my imagemagick calls as
> well.

If you'll note, the original question was to find a way which did not
require ffmpeg. I should really have rephrased that to say "I know of no
way you can do this without ffmpeg". I've used ffmpeg and mencoder
myself to transcode videos to flv, but in environments where I had full
control over the server. Short of moving servers (or at least moving
this part of the work to another server) I see no clear way to do it.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk