Best Practices for Hiding Errors

	Hi all! Have a question about hiding PHP errors from the end user.
	I have the following lines:

$fp = fsockopen ($host, 80, $errno, $errstr, $timeout);
	if (!$fp) {
		// problem, put error handing code here
	} else {
		// success, do whatever here
	}

but if fsockopen is unsuccessful, PHP will display an error warning on the page before it even gets to my error handling code.
	I found the display_errors command at:

< http://ie.php.net/manual/en/errorfunc.configuration.php#ini.display-errors>

but they give the following warning:

"This is a feature to support your development and should never be used on production systems (e.g. systems connected to the internet)."

	Am unclear what that means - is it okay to add:

ini_set('display_errors','Off');

to my page, so that an end user won't ever get the warning displayed and I can deal with the error behind the scenes? Or is there a better way to keep PHP from writing error codes to the screen?
	Thanks!

George Langley    Multimedia Developer    Audio/Video Editor    Musician, Arranger, Composer www.georgelangley.ca