Workflow app for software

Ladies/Gents...

Hi. Trying to get some input to a web based app for dealing with managing
software apps/scripts.

Basically, i'm envisioning a system where people register/signup, and then
check in/out apps for development/testing/production... I need a way of
dealing with users, assigning/accepting roles for the users, and to manage
the flow of the "file" as it moves through the basic
"development/testing/production" process. i'd like to have a database
backend, combines with some kind of source/file reqpository...

I've seen things like knowledgetree, owl, etc... but figured I'd get input
from here. So, any thoughts to open source apps that you guys have actual
experience using??

Thanks