From: an_red@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:55:28 +0100
Subject: RE:  flushing AJAX scripts

Sorry, Kim, but why on earth you are polling with a second request to know when the first one has finished?
I mean, when the first request inserts data in the database that's it, you'll manage the end of the request.

$A --->  do stuff; do stuff; do stuff; report ready;
$B ---> report ready?
$B ---> report ready?
$B ---> report ready?
$B ---> report ready?
report ready; ---> notification to A
$B ---> report ready;

the report ready, if it is when $A request has been finished, will be in $A, the polling via $B is absolutely useless, imo.

There is no timeout from Ajax, it simply keep waiting, but obviously if your PHP has max_execution_time 30 seconds and the script execution takes more than 30 seconds there's no polling that could save you.

The same if the user closes the browser, connection lost, bye bye response.

To have a notice, you need Comet, try out Phico but still, a page that requires that much is not suitable for the web. Report creation should be a cronjob in a separed thread if it is that stressful.

Regards