Re: hierarchies

PJ wrote:
Jason Pruim wrote:
PJ wrote:
I do have a bit of a problem which has not been clearly explained in
the suggestions to my previous posts and that is the question of
hierarchies. I have not yet understood how to include a file anywhere in
a directory tree and have it point to the right file which may be in the
top directory or, most likely, in a /lib/ directory from the file that
is including.
Any suggestions, or should I just make myself small and
wait for the rotten eggs and spoiled tomatoes to come raining down on my
head? :'(

Are you talking about having a file structure such as:

/home
/include
/webroot
/->images
/->css
/->java

And you want to include a file from the include folder which is above
the webroot, so doesn't have access to it?

If that's the case... you just need to set the path such as:
ini_set("include_path", "/home/include");
then in your PHP file you should be able to: include("mysupperfile.php");
and it should work :)

Not quite, but interesting option. This would be fine on my local
intranet, if needed; but I don't think this would be allowed on a
virtual hosted site.

Actually, my problem is to use a header.php (for example) in pages in
the webroot directory or any directory within (or under) webroot:

/ <---- webroot
/site1
   /files
   /images
   /lib
   /more files
   /admin
      /other_files
      /still_others
/site2
/site3
files
files
files...

I have the header.php file in /lib .
If I put include dirname(_FILE_)."/lib/header.php"; in a file under
/site1, the header is displayed.
If I put the same include statement in a file under /site1/files, the
header is not displayed; if I change the include to
..."/../lib/header.php"; it then works.
I want to be able to point to the include to the same file in the same
directory without having to change the include directive.

I actually use that on a shared host... Really depends on the host though... My actual file path is something more like:

/home/
   /myusername/
   /include/
   /public_html/ <---- Web root
      /file.php
      /another folder/

So all my files are inside my home folder on the server, but nothing outside of public_html is accessible from the web.

As for the rest... I haven't started using dir(__FILE__) stuff yet so I won't be any help with that...