Re: Limit Local Search to Content

2009/3/26 George Langley <george.langley@xxxxxxx>:
>        Hi all! Am building a Search feature following the excellent tutorial at:
>
> <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/php/2002/10/24/simplesearchengine.html>
>
> It loops through a page and stores the words found in a mySQL database.
>        I have about 60 pages, and all of them share a number of common items like header, menu, footer, etc. These get added as includes. The result is that every page gets marked as having "Contact Us", "Terms of Use" or any other item in the menu, footer, etc. I would like to limit the word list to items found just in the page's unique content.
>        I do have a div with an id of "divContent" for the actual content. So I could add an if statement to only start storing words found after the word "divContent" has been found. But, my question is:
>
> How do I STOP it? Is it permissible to add the id again in the closing div tag ie </div id="divContent">.
>
>        If this is allowed, I could keep an eye out for that id again and stop it when found a second time, so that my list doesn't include items in the footer (which again is common to all 60 pages) or any other items outside of the content section. Or is there a better way to trigger the recording of words on/off? Thanks!

You can't have any extra info in a closing HTML tag. This problem is
usually handled using comments. Something like the following...

<!-- content begin -->
sofihsod hiosdh sdh gus us u sg
<!-- content end -->

You then just start with you see the begin comment and stop when you
hit the end comment.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/