Re: Re: So called "PHP Expert"

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:07:30PM -0400, Marc Christopher Hall wrote:

> This is why I am pushing for legislation to make this a licensed profession.

Gawd, I hope you fail.

Any number of trips into history will verify that insisting fields be
licensed is a bad idea. Mostly licensing is a protection racket for
people who want to protect their little area of turf and limit
competition. If it doesn't start that way it ends up that way.

Anyone can say anything they want, including that they are "licensed".
The real test is, can they produce the product? That's why you want to
see what the guy's done in the past and check references before you
write him a quarter million dollar check.

The last official programming job I had (as a FoxPro programmer)
happened because my prospective employer came to my office and I showed
him some code I'd written for my then current employer. I got the job on
the spot, because he could clearly see I knew how to code in FoxPro. And
he wasn't sorry later that he hired me.

I don't know how many guys I've seen with numerous initials after their
names who couldn't actually do what they were supposedly trained to do.
But people were sure impressed by all the initials.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster