Re: Web Development/Application Analysis

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just hired a remote PHP programmer. His main job is web
>> development and applications.
>>
>> I have few concerns, I would be happy if someone can point me to the
>> right direction.
>>
>>   1. How can I provide him the requirements. I mean how can I analyze
>> the site and put everything in writing.
>>   2. How can I estimate manhours.
>>

>> Is there a sample web site/application anyalsis.
>>
>> Basically, what is provided to the programmers in order for them to
>> start working?
>>
>> --
>> OOzy
>> Ubuntu (8.10)
>
> OOzy:
>
> If you don't know what you want, then why did you hire a programmer?
>
> In any event, the first thing you need to do is to pin down what you want
> the site to do. Do you want it to gather emails, or sell a product, provide
> a video, sell your company, tap-dance, or what?
>
> If you know what you want, then put those objectives in a list of
> requirements. You don't have to be a programmer to know what you want, but
> you must be able to effectively communicate those ideas to the programmer so
> that they can: 1) understand what you want; 2) and can tell you if it's
> possible and what cost and time. I always tell my clients that "If they can
> describe it, then I can do it" -- however, some things can take more
> money/time than they an afford.
>
> In any event, as a client there are some thing that you need to know:
>
> http://sperling.com/four-things-clients-should-know.php
>
> Once you and the programmer understands the other's position and
> expectations (i.e., meeting of the minds), then the programmer should be
> able to determine an approximate number of hours and overall cost for the
> project.
>
> Here's another thing you must realize -- as the client you can choose:
> Quality; Time; Or Cost as your main concerns, but only two of them -- not
> all three. For example, if you want it done quick with high quality, then
> it's going to cost you. If you want high quality and low cost, then it's
> going to take a while. And if you want it done quick with low cost, then
> expect low quality -- and at that point, a respectable programmer would
> normally pass on the project -- professionals don't turn out crap.
>
> But the point is if you are dealing with a professional, they will try to
> provide honest service for your buck. If you try to cut their price or rush
> them, then you're only asking for trouble in some form.
>
> For example, I charge $50 per hour and had one prospective client say "I've
> never paid $50 per hour for any programmer. The most I've ever paid is $25
> -- would you work for that?" I answered, "Sure, but it's going to take me
> twice as long to get anything done." The "client" didn't get the idea, I
> didn't get the work, and that was probably good for both of us -- not all
> relationships work.

> [...]

Hi,

I agree with tedd.
You don't have to be a programmer to know what you want.

Maybe search on the internet for a site that is very close to what you
have in mind or at least a starting point.
Send in the url to the programmer.
Tell him the needed functionalities in your own words.
Then ask the programmer if he can do it, how long and how much.

Perhaps consider grouping the functionalities according to priorities or stages.

For me, I am the one asking those questions to the "client" to get him
to know what he wants.

Virgil
http://www.jampmark.com