Re: Summary Report With Details - Newbie Question

On 3/16/2009 7:17 PM, "Paul M Foster" <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I was dubious about my answer, based on the idea that someone else
> might have a better way. However, it appears not.
>
> So what I would do is probably, instead of echoing stuff immediately,
> I'd just append it to a string until you're ready to output a total
> line. Then output the total line, and immediately after, output the
> string you accumulated while counting. Make sense? The whole point in
> the first place, as I recall, was to avoid umpteen database queries. So
> what you're doing is to load it all up at once and then let PHP do the
> heavy work instead of the database. But the total you want is only
> available after you've processed all the records for that item/model. So
> if you want it to come first on screen, you'll have to "accumulate" all
> your detail lines as you go. Then when the total is ready, output that
> and then output all the stuff you've accumulated. I don't know any
> better way to do it.
>
> If it's still not clear, let me know.

Thanks for your help PAUL - with your explanation I got it working - Yipee!!

Like this ....

$product = '';
$productlast = '';
$show='';
$count = 1;
while ($a = mysql_fetch_assoc($getall)) {
    if ($product != $a['model']) {

         if ($productlast != '') {

        $show='';
        $count = 1; // resets count for each new model
        $product = $a['model'];
        $show = $show . $a['model'].' '.$a['id'].' - loc:
'.$a['condition'].' 1<br/>';

    }
    else {
        $count++;
        $productlast = $a['model'];
        $show = $show .  $a['model'].' '.$a['id'].' - loc '.$a['
condition'].' 2 <br/>';
}
}

--