Re: Re: The PHP filter class I'm working on (securiity)

Jochem Maas wrote:
> Martin Zvarík schreef:
>> What's the point?
>>
>> If user puts in a search input something like <script>alert('I am super
>> hacker');</script>
>>
>> And the website outputs:
>> You are searching for: <script>....</script>
>>
>> then what? it shows an alert(), who cares?
>
> replace the alert() with some code that passes the cookie to a hacker controlled
> domain. now create a URL that includes the given javascript:
>
> echo 'http://mzvarik.com/foo?somevar='.urlencode('<script type="text/javascript">/*evil code here*/</script>');
>
> send url to unsuspecting users of your site. anyone know clicks the URL
> has just had their cookies hijacked.
>
> still don't mind?
>
>> I, as an owner of this website, don't mind AT ALL.
>>
>> Aha, forget to mention the XSS on MySQL or inside comments right? Isn't
>> mysql_real_escape_string(), strip_tags() enough?
>>
>> Martin

A little off topic, but I was testing some exploits like this on my dev
box and no matter what I did all quotes in the URL were escaped with \
even if I urlencoded the quotes (single or double).  I have
magic_quotes_gpc = on but I wouldn't think this would escape urlencoded
quotes.  Is it the suhosin patch maybe or something elese?

--
Thanks!
-Shawn