To: "Virgilio Quilario" <virgilio.quilario@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Sándor Tamás (HostWare Kft.)" <sandortamas@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:55 PM
Subject: Re:  Silly question - include vs. eval

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 20:49 +0800, Virgilio Quilario wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wondering what is the difference between include(), and eval(' >> ?>'.file_get_content().' <?php ')?
>>
>> If there is something I should be aware, please, let me know.
>
> Use include since it allows a cache like eAccelerator or APC to work.
> Eval never gets cached. Also, include let's the engine do the opening,
> reading, closing of the file while also parsing and running the > contents
> in one fell function call (yes I know it's not a function). What you
> have above, using eval, is a bastardization of cleanliness and
> succinctness of code.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

hi,

eval is useful when your php code is stored in database.
read here http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.eval.php for details.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... it would probably make your
application faster if you used a file based cache for content to be
eval'd and then included the cached file instead. Then whatever
accelerator is in play can do it's thing on the code.

But the poster didn't ask about content in general, he asked about the
difference between include and eval'ing content acquired from a file.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com