Re: Handling (very) large files with PHP

Hello all and thank for the answers.
Just to clarify I don't know C yet, so I hope I wont have to learn C to do
it.
But about the insertions - Yes, I'll probably use Perl if you say its
fastest.

Since the insertion will probably happen once or once a month, I don't mind
if it will take even a week.

Since I am more familiar with MySQL I think I rather use it.

About what I'll do after that - I'll probably use several regex queries and
things like that.

And you got a point - I don't know all the queries I'll run yet, but I'll
probably do them with Perl.

And although PHP can handle files that large, shouldn't I split them anyway
- in case of some error or debugging, its better to do it before then after,
no?

I've read a bit about working with large databases,
But since I haven't used REGEX too much on MySQL queries, I would like to
know how long do you think it will take me to do a simple regex search
(likes?) on the database? and it will probably appears in most of the
entries...
I know I can do a test-search by trying it on a simple and multiply it by
the number of entries (or something similar),
but lets say I do it in PHP,
This can change alot because I recieved a very small data-example which
weights about 1MB. Multiply it by so much? It could be very very inaccuarate
even if I loop and handle the file several times,
Because, a regex search on table with 10 entries and a regex search on a
table with 9 billion entries.... that is a problem...

Is anyone familiar with working with such a large databases?