How to work with Webservices (.asmx) server

I am confused with XML-RPC / SOAP and WSDL ...

If you have a server with a script/file like test.asmx and some web
services ...below example of service format :

SOAP 1.2

The following is a sample SOAP 1.2 request and response. The
placeholders shown need to be replaced with actual values.

-------------------------------------  SAMPLE OF Web Service from the
server below :

SOAP 1.2

The following is a sample SOAP 1.2 request and response.  The
placeholders shown need to be replaced with actual values.

POST /webservice/GetData.asmx HTTP/1.1
Host: www.theserver.com

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap12:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xmlns:soap12="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope";>
  <soap12:Body>
    <GetData xmlns="http://localhost/WebService/";>
      <Input>string</Input>
    </GetData>
  </soap12:Body>
</soap12:Envelope>

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap12:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xmlns:soap12="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope";>
  <soap12:Body>
    <GetDataResponse xmlns="http://localhost/WebService/";>
      <Output>string</Output>
    </GetDataResponse>
  </soap12:Body>
</soap12:Envelope>

------------------------------------ END OF SAMPLE

I spend about most of my time looking at SOAP, XML-RPC and the PHP
SOAP extension, like from here:

http://tutorial.jcwcn.com/Web-Design/PHP/XML-and-PHP/2008-08-15/10160.html

Most of these talk about request to the server and a script with .wsdl
extension ... but from the example SOAP 1.2 "framework" above
and the fact that the url to the web service is not a .wsdl file but
in fact a .asmx file, how on earth to you

1) post a request to the example above.
2) What do you use here now actually ? SOAP/XML-RPC/WSDL ? or is this
something else ? Its extremely confusing since this does
not seem to fit in with any of the examples, material on the net.

I basically need to call the service and pass "string" to the Input
parameter and get the response field.

Some examples using the PHP Soap class talk about setting the URI, the
host and the NS and I don't know from the example SOAP 1.2 fields
provided where this should be taken from.

Some guidelines to good documentation/howto or tutorials and/or some
examples and functions/class would be
appreciated immensely

Regards