Re: Re: PHP includes

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:23 -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Monday 09 March 2009 3:07:17 pm Nathan Rixham wrote:
> > Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > > Just thought I'd point out that it's recommended against giving non-php
> > > extensions to PHP code pages. Basically, making all of your include
> > > files .inc without the server correctly configured to recognise all .inc
> > > files as PHP files, you are opening yourself up to possible hacks where
> > > people put the URL of your include directly in their browser and view
> > > all your code. Best thing is usually to name files like this:
> > > filename.inc.php or some-such, and not filename.inc.
> >
> > v well said - one thing you never want is your source showing!
>
> Unless you're working in open source and then the source is showing anyway
> from the original download site.  And if simply knowing your source code is a
> security hole, then you have bad software.
>
> Your config file with passwords and such, sure, keep that locked down tight.
> But don't rely on security through obscurity.
>
> --
> Larry Garfield
> larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was talking about includes that have things such as database
connection information and other sensitive things. By making it a PHP
file, you prevent the code from being seen, ergo you hide your password,
etc. phpMyAdmin does it this way, using a config.inc.php file for
holding the connection information to each database.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk