Re: stdin, stdout, stderr, 3

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:14, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "UNIX Channel 3" ??

    Sorry, Per, I must've stuttered.  Yes, I said, "UNIX Channel 3."
For lack of a better reference.  That not withstanding, the direct
response to Lynch's question still holds true.

> It's just file descriptor 3, that's all. In the old days, it was
> occasionally called "stdaux", but AFAIK that's not used any more.

    Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall the term "STDAUX,"
but I'm not sure if it's an actual memory or just one of those things
that "looks familiar" after reading it.  Either way, the streams are
also referred to as "channels," and the virtual reference to that is
known as the "file descriptor."

> Per Jessen, Zürich (4.9°C)

    It's about 43F (~6C) here in Scranton today.... much more
acceptable than the 5F (-15C) we had just a short time ago.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx || danbrown@xxxxxxx