Re: Database Abstraction Class

( Sorry Eric - forgot to change the email address again :( )

Eric Butera wrote:
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:
In some earlier thread (I really don't want to dig to find it) I argued for
running mysql_real_escape_string right on the _POST

I must concede I was definitely wrong about that.

The right place to do it is in a database abstraction class that does the
actual insert for you, so that if you need to move your app to a different
DB backend you just need to add the proper support to your abstraction class
for the new DB.

Let it take care of the escaping when it inserts.

Anywhoo, that being said, does anyone have a suggestion for a good database
abstraction class?

Preferably one that already has decent support for several open source
databases?

PDO.  :)  Anything else is a waste of cpu cycles.

But it only does data abstraction - not database abstraction ;)
ADOdb allows transparent SQL

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL