Re: Unexplained Issue Using Regex

Jim Lucas wrote:
> Nitsan Bin-Nun wrote:
>> Hi lista,
>>
>> I have been trying to figure this out for the last couple of hours but I'm
>> lack of luck.
>> Take a look at these regex's, the string that was inputed into the
>> preg_replace (using Uis modificators) and the results:
>> (the lists have correspondence to each other)
>>
>> ORIGINAL STRING
>> ----
>>
>> http://www.zshare.net/video/541070871c7a8d9c
>> http://www.guba.com/watch/2000821351
>> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v4609719YfsCFpf
>>

>> REGEX USED (with Uis modificators)
>> ----
>> http:\/\/(www\.|)zshare\.net\/video\/([^\/]+)               $3
>> http:\/\/(www\.|)guba\.com\/watch\/([0-9]+)              $3
>> http:\/\/(www\.|)veoh\.com\/videos\/([^\/]+)
>>
>> THE RETURNED STRING
>> ----
>> 41070871c7a8d9c
>> 000821351
>> 4609719YfsCFpf
>>
>> If you will go through this carefully you will notice that the first
>> character of each matching group is being deleted.
>> The regex's and the replacements string are being fetched from the database
>> (mysql) and goes straight to the preg_replace function with the original
>> string.
>>
>> I have no idea why this happens.
>> I'm looking forward for your opinions and suggestions.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nitsan
>>

> In my opinion...
>
> http://us3.php.net/parse_url   is your friend here...
>
> <?php
>
> $urls[] = 'http://www.zshare.net/video/541070871c7a8d9c';
> $urls[] = 'http://www.guba.com/watch/2000821351';
> $urls[] = 'http://www.veoh.com/videos/v4609719YfsCFpf';
>
> $url_paths = array();
>
> foreach ( $urls AS $id => $url ) {
> 	$url_paths[$id] = parse_url($url, PHP_URL_PATH);
> }
>
> print_r($url_paths);
>
> foreach ( $url_paths AS $paths ) {
> 	list( , ,$value) = explode('/', $paths, 3);
> 	echo $value.PHP_EOL;
> }
>
> ?>
>
> The above outputs the following:

CTRL - Enter a little quick...

<plaintext>Array
(
    [0] => /video/541070871c7a8d9c
    [1] => /watch/2000821351
    [2] => /videos/v4609719YfsCFpf
)
541070871c7a8d9c
2000821351
v4609719YfsCFpf

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare