Re: Website on a USB key?

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 04:24:24PM +1100, Clancy wrote:

> I bought some appliance recently, and found that they had thrown in a 2G
> USB key for good
> luck.  I guess I ought to be able to put a PHP server plus a copy of my
> website on it for
> demonstration purposes, but has anyone actually tried it, and if so are
> there any traps to
> avoid?

Maybe I'm dense or I don't understand your question. It sounds like you
want to run lighttpd or apache on this USB device in order to serve up
your website. If so, then the device would have to be assigned a
separate IP address from the machine it's mounted on. Someone would have
to be able to surf to that IP at least, much less have the IP address
translated into a name. Otherwise, there's no way a web server can serve
up a website; it has to have an IP address. I don't know how you'd
possibly do that. Even then, you'd have to mount the device and then
issue a separate call to the USB-hosted web server to start, and then
serve your site up.

If that's what you mean, maybe someone else knows an answer, but I can't
imagine a less-than-byzantine way of doing it.

If you just want to have a copy of the website itself on the device,
you could either copy it to the document root of the webserver on the
machine, or mount it at a point within the doc root. Otherwise, the web
server won't see it as a website to serve up.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster