Re: Problem with mysql_real_escape_string

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Nigel Green <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is my first post to the list. Have been observing for a few weeks and
>> have learnt a lot.
>>
>> I am having an issue in one of my scripts where using the
>> mysql_real_escape_string function is stripping content out of my input data.
>> All is working well on my local installation, but when the files are
>> transferred over to the live site I am getting problems.
>>
>> The sample code I am using to test this is as follows:
>>
>> if(isset($this->mysql)) {
>>    $query = "update pages set";
>>    $query .= " `title` = '" . mysql_real_escape_string ($title) . "',";
>>    $query .= " `text` = '" . mysql_real_escape_string ($text) . "',";
>>    $query .= " where id = \"$id\"";
>> }
>> echo $query;
>>
>> The $title, $text and $id values are passed in as parameters when I call the
>> method that runs the update, and if I echo them out at the top of the method
>> they are all present and correct.
>>
>> The $mysql class variable is populated with a connection handle when I
>> instantiate an instance of the class, and the code is finding the connection
>> as it is building the query. On my local machine the query is built using
>> the escaped values from the $_POST array, but on the live site the escaped
>> values for $title and $text are blank.
>>
>> Any ideas on where to look for config differences? The main thing I've found
>> so far is that this may happen if no connection is present, but it is. Doing
>> a var_dump of the connection handle shows that it is the correct handle as
>> well.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Make sure to always pass your active database connection into the
> second parameter of mysql_real_escape_string.  There could be
> character set differences between your two servers too that might be
> causing issues for you.  If at all possible I would recommend
> upgrading to mysqli or pdo and use prepared statements.

mysqli may not be available to him (PHP4, etc.) and I don't see why he
should completely switch his procedure if his code will work with the
addition of the db handle in the function call... but that's my 2c. I
agree that at some level, it is more beneficial to change all of the
code you have to use a new method/construct/whatever, but it may not
be worth it in his case.

// Todd