Re: Re: Question about template systems

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 20:53 +0100, Martin Zvarík wrote:
> Matthew Croud napsal(a):
> > Hello,
> >
> > First post here, I'm in the process of learning PHP , I'm digesting a
> > few books as we speak.
> > I'm working on a content heavy website that provides a lot of
> > information, a template system would be great and so i've been looking
> > at ways to create dynamic data with a static navigation system.
> >
> > So far, using the require_once(); function seems to fit the bill in
> > order to bring in the same header html file on each page.
> > I've also looked at Smartys template system.
>

> If you are looking for performance stick to Blitz PHP - the only true
> template system.
>
> Martin
>
> > Thanks for any help you can provide :)
> >
> > Matt.

For now, while you're learning about PHP, I'd use an existing template
system and tweak it to your needs. As you learn more, and need something
a little more bespoke, then you can look at making one yourself based on
what you've learnt about the coding and about existing template systems.
I've never used any myself, so I can't comment from first-hand
experience, but perhaps the Wikipedia entry may be of some help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_engine_(web)

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk