Re: Question about template systems

Hi,

> First post here, I'm in the process of learning PHP , I'm digesting a few
> books as we speak.
> I'm working on a content heavy website that provides a lot of information, a
> template system would be great and so i've been looking at ways to create
> dynamic data with a static navigation system.
>
> So far, using the require_once(); function seems to fit the bill in order to
> bring in the same header html file on each page.
> I've also looked at Smartys template system.

If you've looked at require_once() and it "fits the bill", then
chances are that Smarty might be overkill slightly.

> I wondered how you folk would go about creating a template system ?

I wouldn't (or at least, I wouldn't advise it). Use one that's already
out there and save your self some (a lot of) work.

> My second question might be me jumping the gun here, I haven't come across
> this part in my book but i'll ask about it anyway.  I often see websites
> that have a dynamic body and static header, and their web addresses end like
> this: "index.php?id=445" where 445 i presume is some file reference.
> What is this called ?

I don't know of the specific name, but the URL is simply passing an
identifier (445) to the script (index.php). This ID could be the ID of
a record in a database, which is then retrieved and shown to the user.

> It seems like the system i'm after but it doesn't
> appear in my book,  If anyone could let me know what this page id subject is
> called i can do some research on the subject.

Erm, don't know of the specific name, except that it's a GET parameter
(so I guess I do...). Everything following the question mark is
collectively known as the query string. You can retrieve these by
examining the $_GET variable. You will aalso find some useful things,
in $_SERVER.

Eg:

<pre>
<?php
  print_r($_GET);
  print_r($_SERVER);
?>

--
Richard Heyes

HTML5 Canvas graphing for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari:
http://www.rgraph.net (Updated February 28th)