RE: Development methods (was: "use strict" or similar in PHP?)

Putty
> on a WinXP workstation, with Apache on RHEL 5 as the server. (The
> original coder used vi on a clone of the server until they took it
away
> from him.) The chances of re-implementing the entire project are
> roughly
> equivalent to a zero with the edges rubbed out. I already have a six
> month to-do list just adding the new features already requested by
> current clients.

* MVC = Model-View-Controller [1]
* Template = Basically just the display (View) with variables injected
[2]
* Output Buffer = Output isn't sent to the browser until you deem it so
[3]

As far as inheriting more than 160 files with logic and presentation
intermingled... I think you're pretty much SOL with regard to converting
it to a framework or a new design pattern. It's possible, but that's
going to be quite a bit of work.

Links:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-View-Controller
2. http://www.smarty.net/ (just an example of one templating system)